Custom indexes - intro
What are Custom Indexes?
Investors are increasingly using indexes in new ways: creating novel avenues for growth, asset allocation, risk management, performance reporting, portfolio modelling and in capturing the massive shifts driving long-term megatrends.
MSCI calculate over 7,000 custom indexes for clients globally, drawing from our database of more than 22,000 securities in 75 countries.
These customized indexes help clients avoid benchmark misfit, allow investors to align with sustainability goals, carry out bespoke reporting, performance and risk analysis and manage currency risk through custom hedged indexes.
Increase your speed to market, deliver differentiated investment solutions and enjoy a more convenient, intuitive user experience
custom indexes - video
Custom Index App
See how to design, simulate strategies, analyze and license MSCI custom indexes, in three simple steps.
Leverage our methodology
Leveraging our market-leading methodologies - across ESG + Climate, Thematic, Factor and Market Cap equity indexes - research IP and technology; the Index Builder gives clients direct access to our data, providing a space to design indexes, simulate strategies, analyze and license MSCI custom indexes, in three simple steps.
Design your own investment thesis by applying our robust ESG, Climate, Thematic and factor methodologies and differentiated data to calculate the indexes' performance.
Simulate and Analyze
2. Simulate and Analyze
Evaluate and refine your idea by simulating historical index performance, and comparing index characteristics across multiple views including returns, exposures and investability measures
License your preferred custom indexes and easily subscribe to best-fit benchmarks.
from ideation to production
From ideation to production, Index Builder supports asset owners, investment and wealth managers and product sponsors to experiment and quickly bring new, differentiated products to market, simulate indexes around investment hypotheses, test index-based strategies and create and license best-fit benchmarks.
All within a day.
Why Custom Indexes?
Why Custom Indexes?
Customize any MSCI index to reflect specific benchmark or product requirements.
Investable, transparent and replicable indexes designed with the same rigorous calculation and maintenance methodology as applied to the MSCI Indexes.
Well-established, reliable index production process – same as used for calculating all MSCI Indexes.
Cross-functional custom indexes team of experts in Research, Index Production, IT and Product Management.
custom indexes content
We offer a wide variety of flexible options for defining, calculating and disseminating custom indexes. Any MSCI Index may be used as a starting point. You can specify the customization criteria and we can implement, calculate and maintain the index based on your specifications.
You can use the MSCI Custom Indexes to:
- Avoid benchmark misfit by using an index that more accurately reflects the investment strategy or constraints
- Benchmark socially responsible investment strategies (environmental, political, social)
- Carry out bespoke reporting, performance and risk analysis
- Manage currency risk via custom hedged indexes
- Outsource the calculation of specialized in-house indexes
- Comply with regulatory guidelines through the application of certain capping criteria
- Construct and issue index-linked products to meet specific investment themes applying investability and liquidity criteria
- Custom Indexes (select your index by choosing the appropriate Indexes in the drop down menu)
- View the MSCI Custom Index performance
- MSCI Select Indexes for Mexican Afores
- MSCI Europe Equal Risk Contribution (ERC) Index Methodology
- MSCI All Nigeria Select 25/50 Index Methodology
- MSCI World Custom ESG Index / MSCI World Custom ESG 100% Hedged to EUR Index – Methodology
- MSCI Russia Capped Index Methodology
- MSCI Australia Select High Dividend Yield Index Methodology
- MSCI Mexico IMI Capped Index Methodology
- MSCI Hong Kong+ Index Methodology
- Northern Trust Index on MSCI Emerging Markets Methodology
- MSCI ACWI Select Global Norms and Criteria Index Methodology
- MSCI Russia Local Liquidity Screened Capped Index
- MSCI EM Custom ESG Index
- MSCI Mexico Select Risk Weighted Index
- MSCI Mexico Select Momentum Capped Index
- MSCI China and USA Internet Top 50 Equal Weighted Index
- MSCI Europe Select Green 50 5% Decrement Index
Performance | Factsheet | Methodology