Tobacco page banner
MSCI GLOBAL EX TOBACCO INVOLVEMENT INDEXES
MSCI ex Tobacco Involvement Indexes
The new MSCI ex Tobacco Involvement Indexes have been designed for use by investors, including pension funds, and universal owners who seek to avoid investments in companies involved in the tobacco business. These indexes are free float‐adjusted market capitalization weighted. The Indexes can be used as a benchmark for institutional investors who seek to exclude stocks involved in tobacco production.
The MSCI ex Tobacco Involvement Indexes use company research provided by MSCI ESG Research to determine eligibility for index inclusion. In particular, the indexes use MSCI ESG Business Involvement Screening Research to identify companies that are involved in the tobacco business. The Index excludes all companies classified as a producer of tobacco and deriving 5% or more aggregate revenue from production, distribution, retail and supply of tobacco related products.
MSCI ACWI ex Tobacco Involvement Index
MSCI World ex Tobacco Involvement Index
MSCI EAFE ex Tobacco Involvement Index
MSCI Emerging Markets ex Tobacco Involvement Index
MSCI Japan ex Tobacco Involvement Index
The indexes can be used to support:
- Asset allocation: Consistent, broad indexes that aim to represent the performance of the full spectrum of the global equity opportunity set without home bias.
- Performance measurement and attribution: An industry-leading suite for global mandates, with regional, country, sector and other subsets available for more targeted investment mandates.
- Research: A leading source for global equity markets and underlying security-level data for sell-side research.
- Investment product development: May be licensed for use as the basis for structured products and other index-linked investment vehicles, such as ETFs and ETNs.
- Executive Summary: Tobacco: A Practical Guide For Institutional Investors
- ESG 101: What is ESG Investing
- ESG Research
- ESG Ratings
- Foundations of ESG Investing – Part 4: Integrating ESG into Factor Strategies and Active Portfolios
- Foundations of ESG Investing – Part 3: Integrating ESG into Passive Institutional Portfolios
- Foundations of ESG Investing – Part 2: Integrating ESG into Benchmarks
- Foundations of ESG Investing – Part 1: How ESG Affects Equity Valuation, Risk and Performance
- Press Release MSCI launches Ex Tobacco Involvement Indexes