Clients' needs are as diverse as their strategies. We strive to meet them by leveraging the cloud, AI and other next-generation technologies that make it easy for clients to integrate our solutions into their investment processes.
Watch the Video
Investment professionals around the world are accelerating advances in technology and data science to generate alpha, serve clients and expand the frontiers of innovative investing.
MSCI’s solutions help investors harness and leverage new technology and data to build better portfolios for a better world. That includes collecting and processing enormous datasets that span investment disciplines, as well as marrying quantitative analysis, research and modeling with technology that helps investors make more informed decisions, navigate a rapidly changing landscape and bring new ideas to market. Investors turn to our solutions to help them:
- Analyze sources of risk and return
- Create multi-asset-class portfolios and investment products that capture market opportunities
- Harness investment benchmarks and select securities to advance their strategies
- Understand the portfolio implications of climate change and the resilience of companies to long-term ESG risks
- Deepen insight into factor investing
- Elevate transparency and improve reporting
The Financial Industry’s Technological Transformation video
The Investment Industry’s Technological Transformation
Jigar Thakkar, MSCI’s Chief Technology Officer and Head of Engineering, shares how advancements in technology are impacting investors.
Jigar Thakkar Quote
Jigar Thakkar, Chief Technology Officer and Head of Engineering
Delivering on Vision of MSCI Investment Solutions as a Service
Turning technology and data into true intelligence
MSCI technology and data help investors solve some of their most important investment problems. We calculate more than 267,000 indexes daily, including over 15,000 in real time. Investors also draw each day on our nearly 50 years of historical data for equities, factors and fixed income, together with more than 30 years of historical ESG data. Our data ecosystem leverages Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform, which offers enormous computing power for analyzing data at scale.
Powering Portfolios with True Intelligence
MSCI Investment Solutions as a Service
MSCI’s Investment Solutions as a Service (ISaaS) leverages next-generation technologies, big data and advanced analytics to help investors address critical strategic and investment challenges and respond at speed to a rapidly changing global investment landscape. Built in Microsoft’s Azure cloud, Investment Solutions as a Service delivers advanced capabilities in quantitative investment research in a modern architecture and experience. Here are some of the ways investors are using the platform to better understand their portfolios.
MSCI Climate Lab Company is used by investment managers seeking to construct climate-aligned portfolios. The platform combines leading-edge climate data and analysis to provide a robust view of potential climate-related financial impacts and actionable insights across listed companies. Investors use Climate Lab Company to:
- Visualize the forecast trajectory of companies’ emissions in the coming decades.
- Explore the depth of climate data and scenario analysis from MSCI ESG Research.
- Drill down into climate risks and opportunities by issuer, sector or peer set.
- Identify emissions leaders and laggards; compare performance and progress.
- Explore transition and physical risks by issuer; map exposure to physical risks for both current and projected scenarios.
Data Explorer puts our data directly into investors’ hands to power better decision-making. It offers data scientists, analysts, developers, and product managers access to MSCI data, enabling them to construct and analyze portfolios, enhance strategies and get the most insight with the least effort at every stage of the investment process.
- Search, discover and download nearly 250 sample datasets that power MSCI’s solutions for equities, factors, fixed income, climate and ESG investing.
- Access nearly 50 years of historical data on equities, factors, fixed income, together with data for more than 30 years of ESG investing.
- Explore new datasets for asset location, interest-rate curves, single-security analytics, volatility surfaces and quality reviews.
- Discover and access data directly from the cloud.
- Store and access your firm’s MSCI data subscriptions, obtain metadata and other details, and share data among analysts and developers.
- Obtain recommendations for datasets based on your searches.
Developer Community is a searchable directory of MSCI’s application programming interfaces (APIs). It’s designed to power better investment decisions by making APIs available to developers, data scientists and quantitative managers. It aims to help speed their work, improve offerings, go to market sooner, and grow and scale businesses.
- Search, explore, learn and try APIs from MSCI to support a range of applications and use cases for index, fixed income, ESG and climate, and real estate investing.
- Create your own investment applications or use API orchestration to integrate front- and back-office applications into a single offering.
- Access REST- based APIs for MSCI’s risk-factor models and analytics for portfolio construction.
- Leverage downloadable code snippets to speed set-up, improve collaboration, jump-start projects and build.
Investors are increasingly using indexes in new ways, from personalizing investment strategies to delivering innovative products and identifying the massive shifts driving long-term megatrends.
To meet this demand, we created Index Builder. This tool gives asset owners, investment managers and product sponsors the ability to design, simulate and analyze index strategies, and license MSCI custom indexes - in three simple steps.
- Design - Design indexes that reflect your own investment idea by applying our market leading frameworks and building-block methodologies across Climate, ESG, Factor, Thematic and Market Cap exposures.
- Simulate and Analyze - Backtest your strategy by simulating historical index performance and comparing index characteristics including returns, exposures and investability measures.
- License - Bring your idea to market by simply clicking to license the MSCI custom index that reflects your preferred simulation.
Index Builder is currently in development and we plan to make it available to clients in 2022.
Contact Us button
The video highlights how the pairing of MSCI technology and data with Microsoft’s Azure Cloud and AI is helping institutional investors deepen insight, navigate a changing landscape and build better portfolios for a better world.
Reimagining technology for investors
Reimagining Technology for Investors
Next-generation technologies are broadening the boundaries of global investing. Members of MSCI’s technology and data team share some of the ways we use technological innovation to help clients reduce complexity, capitalize on opportunities and solve their most pressing investment problems.