We serve our people through areas of focus, including DE&I initiatives, talent practices, benefits and outreach programs.
SR People and Global Human Rights
Global human rights
Our belief in upholding the fundamental human rights of all people is part of the foundation of our company. It is integrated into how we operate our business, treat our employees, develop our ethical codes and policies, and interact with clients and vendors to create a safe, inclusive, equitable and diverse workplace. We believe in treating everyone with dignity and respect.
Global Human Rights Policy (PDF, 107 KB) (opens in a new tab) | Modern Slavery Statement (PDF, 136 KB) (opens in a new tab)
SR Employee engagement
MSCI is committed to creating a culture of high employee engagement, where all employees are able to take personal ownership of their performance, career and professional growth.
Employee engagement survey
MSCI respondents characterized as fully engaged
Employee engagement survey
Our employee engagement survey, conducted at least annually, measures whether our approach to performance, growth and career development is driving employee engagement. Managers receive anonymous feedback from the survey and are responsible for improving and enhancing the work environment to further drive engagement.
In our December 2021 employee engagement survey, 73% of respondents were characterized as fully engaged – equaling the highest percentage recorded since we launched the survey in 2011. That amounts to a 31 percentage point increase since 2011, representing significant progress since the survey’s inception. Those results were achieved with a 79% response rate. Fully engaged employees are those who agree or strongly agree with all eight of the “overall company experience” questions asked on the survey.
In the December 2021 survey, we learned from respondents that:
- 94% are committed to playing a part in achieving MSCI’s goals.
- 91% are proud to work at MSCI.
- 85% would recommend MSCI as a place to work.
- 93% would recommend MSCI as a company to do business with.
‘Developing our People,’ a measure that correlates positively with increasing engagement, has an average score of 79% across all ‘development’ questions. This result reflects our ongoing investment in providing tailored development opportunities, with 85% of respondents noting they had the opportunity to learn and grow in the 12 months immediately prior to taking the survey.
In 2021, we added new questions to better measure inclusion and belonging: 85% reported they feel like they belong and believe that individual difference is welcomed and, according to the December 2021 employee engagement survey, 87% of respondents feel they can bring their authentic self to work, unchanged from the prior year.
Employee engagement metrics do not include employees from Real Capital Analytics, Inc. (RCA), a newly acquired business of MSCI. However, the December 2021 response rate does reflect the number of RCA employees who responded to the 2021 engagement survey.
Engagement "check in" surveys
MSCI also conducts engagement “check in” surveys outside of the annual employee engagement survey cycle to gauge feedback from our employees on factors that drive engagement, including leadership and development opportunities, critical to the company’s success.
SR Future of work
Future of Work
In January 2022 , MSCI formally introduced the “Future of Work,” a hybrid work environment that reimagined our use of office space and modernized our technology to enhance interactions with clients and employees. Our goal is to empower employees to reach peak performance levels by enabling them to take charge of their careers and professional growth.
To learn more about MSCI’s unique work environment, visit our Careers page.
SR Talent management
Our integrated approach to talent management is designed to ensure we have the right leaders and the right skilled workforce to implement our growth strategies and business plans. We look for talent that will enrich our culture, while ensuring we remain client-centric and aligned with our overall company vision.
SR Learning and skills
Learning and skills
We want our employees to own their performance, career and professional growth, and we provide the tools, programs and training to enable them to do so. We help our employees understand how their work aligns with our overall strategy, while providing them feedback and coaching to help achieve their goals and develop their careers. By learning how their work fits into MSCI’s purpose and strategy, employees can focus on the needs of relevant stakeholders and are consequently more attune to client needs.
At MSCI, we think differently about how our employees should experience learning and development opportunities. We have adapted experiences to accommodate the learning needs and preferences of employees, whether by role, location or knowledge level, to maximize their education. We strive to meet employees where they are, choosing from four delivery approaches that align with our Future of Work strategy and how employees prefer to learn:
- Experiences, exposure and educational opportunities for everyone, everywhere
- Immersive knowledge and insights about our products, services and solutions
- Configurable online learning courses for all new and experienced employees and managers
- Targeted learning by development needs, function and role
With our approach, we encourage self-paced learning, which allows employees to customize their experience with access to over 16,000 online courses through LinkedIn Learning Pro. A majority of employees have participated in our learning platform since its launch and, in the first eight months of 2022, employees have accessed, on average, 10+ learning resources each.
To learn more, visit our Careers page.
MSCI offers opportunities for career growth in a range of transformative fields in offices around the world. Our geographic footprint spans the world’s major regions from the U.S. to Asia Pacific, Europe, Africa and the Middle East, with a workforce that serves thousands of clients in nearly 100 countries.
Over the past several years, we have embarked on a performance and growth transformation to empower our people to maximize their potential while promoting diversity and leadership development. We pride ourselves on being bright, curious and passionate about what we do, with different ideas, experiences and personalities that encourage innovative thinking.
We are on a journey to work, learn and grow together while building must-have tools and solutions to help our investors better understand performance and risk, and achieve their investment objectives.
It is our distinct company culture that sets us apart, one that celebrates diversity and invests in the well-being of its people, whether that’s an ESG researcher in New York or a data scientist in Shanghai. We embrace diversity, equity and inclusion and provide tools to fuel professional growth.
We believe that people thrive when they are fully accepted and supported, and when they are equipped to take charge of their future. We believe that is how we become the creative thinkers and collaborators that power better investment decisions.
To view current openings at MSCI, visit our Careers page.
SR Diversity, equity and inclusion
Diversity, equity and inclusion
We believe that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) is an engine that drives the company and our culture: When exposed to a variety of viewpoints and experiences, we consider new possibilities. And when fully supported and understood, we begin to thrive so we can best serve our clients.
We have built our strategies around three concepts:
- Our people – Enhance strategies to attract, retain and advance diverse talent at all levels across the firm and all offices across the globe.
- Our community – Increase employee, investor, client, vendor and partner engagement on DE&I issues, and boost visibility of our DE&I commitment.
- Our leaders – Promote inclusive leadership, foster a more equitable workplace where all share a sense of belonging, and build an executive accountability framework to track progress.
Diversity is also an important factor in our consideration of potential and incumbent directors on MSCI’s Board of Directors. The MSCI Board is committed to actively seeking out new members such that the Board, as a whole, possesses the mix of experiences, skills, expertise and qualifications necessary to support the current and future success of MSCI.
To learn more about diversity at MSCI, visit our DE&I page.
Benefits, wellness and safety
MSCI is proud of our goal to provide highly competitive benefits to our employees and their family members. We work to ensure our program remains aligned with — and in many cases above — current practices in the market to allow employees to focus on well-being and to maintain affordable health benefits.
At MSCI, we prioritize the health and well-being of our employees. We want our employees to be well and stay well – physically, emotionally and financially, while staying connected through our community.
While our plan availability varies by location, we offer a broad range of benefits. Our benefits can help ensure the health and well-being of our employees and contribute to their financial security.
To learn more, visit our Careers page.
Benefits and wellness
We offer Here For You, a global Employee Assistance Program that provides employees and families with confidential 24/7 support, resources and information for personal and work-life issues at no cost. The resources and support are available in local languages, via both the web portal and mobile app. Participants can access on-line computerized cognitive behavioral therapy as well as counselors throughout the globe. It also includes:
- Confidential emotional support from highly trained clinicians to help with issues including anxiety, depression, stress, grief, loss and life adjustments and relationship conflicts.
- Legal and financial guidance.
- Online support including articles, podcasts, videos, on-demand trainings and “Ask the Expert” personal responses to employee questions.
- Interactive behavioral health and self-care tools and resources including guided programs on anxiety, chronic pain, mindfulness, sleep, stress and substance abuse, in addition to personalized resources on physical health conditions including smoking, diabetes and coronary disease.
MSCI also offers:
- Same-sex domestic partner benefits.
- Quarterly distribution of well-being resources and webinars focused on various health topics.
- Enhanced parental leave policies that meet a global minimum standard across the firm’s offices worldwide, meeting or exceeding local statutory requirements.
- Global defined contribution and/or defined benefit pension plans, many of which include generous employer contributions.
- Core and supplemental life insurance and disability coverage options.
- Family and community-based support programs, which include childcare backup, and both paid and unpaid time off leave policies.
- Voluntary plan options to help employees with personal services, home and other financial needs.
- Annual global “Fun Day” where employees receive financial stipend and a paid day to attend off-site team building event.
- Global ergonomic program which includes education, assessments and equipment for all employees working in-office or remotely.
- Wellness rooms for all employees as well as rooms designated for nursing mothers in all office locations.
- Offices firmwide equipped with automated external defibrillators and CPR training.
- Access to safety and security advice and emergency medical assistance 24/7 regardless of where employees live or travel.
- Offices firmwide equipped with CCTV and access control.
- Regular security awareness training.
In 2019, 2020 and 2021, there were no workplace employee fatalities at any of our office locations.
Our goal is to build a highly engaged, innovative workforce that drives growth, profitability and shareholder value creation at MSCI. To do that, we know we must adopt strategies to attract and retain the best talent.
We offer competitive compensation packages. But beyond that, we believe in creating a culture that holds employees accountable for their performance and growth, encouraging them to challenge themselves and pursue their career goals. At MSCI, we link employee compensation to measurable personal, product/function and company results as well as certain behaviors.
All employees are eligible for annual cash bonuses. To determine who receives a bonus, we measure results against employee goals. For managers, we evaluate the effectiveness of certain behaviors consistent with the firm’s values and culture.
Employees from the senior associate level and up are also eligible to participate in the MSCI Long-Term Incentive Program with the potential to be awarded MSCI stock that vests over a multi-year period. The program seeks to:
- Align interests of eligible employees with those of our shareholders.
- Enhance our “owner-operator” philosophy.
- Recognize and reward potential long-term contributions.
- Retain key leaders and top performing employees.
To learn more, visit our Careers page.
Community and philanthropy
We encourage and support community involvement through global and local initiatives. We empower teams at all our office locations to identify and support organizations that have positively impacted their communities.
Local and regional employee resource groups and office leadership teams determine where they want to have an impact in their communities and organize a variety of one-time events and annual initiatives. Here’s a highlight of some of our work:
- Monterrey, Mexico – employees contribute to local organizations by donating hygiene items, food and school supplies for mothers and children in need.
- New York – employees purchase holiday gifts to donate to an organization for homeless youth.
- San Francisco – employees promote and support the local community by hiring local businesses when hosting office events.
- Budapest – MSCI, both at the corporate and local levels, has donated money, food, clothing and personal care products to assist Ukrainian refugees.
- London – employees work with a mission as part of a longstanding relationship to help local homeless people, organizing fundraisers and providing hot breakfasts.
- Manila – employees plan activities and make donations to support street children as part of a longstanding partnership with a local organization; our corporate office has also donated laptops.
MSCI employees volunteer in their communities with flexibility to do so during work hours. We also fund initiatives and activities at local offices to support community action and involvement.
Additionally, we sponsor eco-initiatives such as eco-brick creation and collection, and local tree planting through our Climate Action Network (CAN) employee resource group. CAN promotes a number of global efforts to promote recycling, sustainability and eco-friendly best practices.