MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index
The MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index targets 50% of the free float-adjusted market capitalization of each Global Industry Classification Standard [i](GICS®) Sector and is designed to target companies that have high Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) performance.
The MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index aims to target sector weights that reflect their relative weightings within the underlying indexes, to limit the systematic risk introduced by the ESG selection process. Overall the index targets coverage of 50% of the underlying MSCI parent index.
The MSCI Japan ESG Select Leaders Index:
- Is constructed using the MSCI Japan IMI Top 500 Index
- Looks at the top 500 Japanese companies by market capitalization
- Targets best ESG performers relative to their sector peers using MSCI’s ESG Ratings and MSCI ESG Controversy Scores
- Leverages our long history in developing ESG Indexes
Several Global Asset Owners have selected MSCI ESG Indexes, with over $180 billion allocated in recent years1
For a list of the ten largest constituents, sector breakdown and more, view the latest index factsheet below
Why are leading pension funds turning to ESG indexes
The index can be used to support:
- Asset allocation: Consistent, complete representation that captures the full spectrum of the global equity opportunity set without home bias.
- Performance measurement and attribution: An industry-leading benchmark for global mandates, with regional, country, sector and other subsets available for more targeted investment mandates.
- Research: A trusted source for global equity markets and underlying security-level data for sell-side research.
- Investment product development: May be licensed for use as the basis for structured products and other index-linked investment vehicles, such as ETFs and ETNs.
1 Based on publically available information in press releases published from 2014 to date.