GICS® in a nutshell
- GICS® is a four-tiered, hierarchical industry classification system. The four tiers are: Sectors, Industry Groups, Industries and Sub-Industries.
- All definitions are standardized and applied to companies globally.
- Each company is assigned a single GICS® classification in each of the four tiers, according to its principal business activity.
- Revenues is a key factor in determining a firm’s principal business activity.
- Earnings and market perception, however, are also recognized as important and relevant information for classification purposes, and are taken into account during the annual review process.
- GICS® is reviewed annually to ensure it remains fully representative of global market dynamics.
Learn more about the GICS® structure & Sub-Industry definitions (XLS, 77 KB) .