Search meth by index - Index methodology revamp 2023
Search Methodology by Index Name or Index Code
You can access current or past index methodologies by inserting the Index Code or Index Name in the search tool below.
Search tool footnote - Index Methodology revamp 2023
MSCI Indexes are governed by a set of methodology and policy documents ("Methodology Set"). The Methodology Set for MSCI ESG indexes includes a document 'ESG Factors in Methodology' that contains the list of environmental, social, and governance factors considered, and how they are applied in the methodology (e.g., selection, weighting or exclusion).
To use the "Search Methodology by Index Name or Index Code" tool, type in the first four letters of the index name leaving out "MSCI" (e.g., for MSCI Emerging Market Index, type in Emer) or the index code, wait for the list of indexes to appear, choose the index and click "Go". For additional tips on searching the methodology toolbox, please download the Search Tool User Guide (XLSX, 204 KB).
The indexes listed in these search tools are not differentiated by currency or return type (price, net, gross), unless indicated specifically in the index name. To identify an MSCI index code to a Bloomberg or Reuters ticker, please refer to the Ticker Codes.
Key methodology documents
Key methodology documents
Below are the key methodology documents which explain our rules and guidelines:
Equity & Blended
- MSCI Global Investable Market Indexes Methodology (May 2023) (PDF, 1753 KB)
- MSCI Global Investable Market Indexes Methodology Summary (May 2014) (PDF, 737 KB)
- MSCI Global Investable Market Value and Growth Index Methodology (May 2023) (PDF, 572 KB)
- MSCI Fundamental Data Methodology (March 2021) (PDF, 863 KB)
- MSCI Corporate Events Methodology (May 2023) (PDF, 1010 KB)
- MSCI Free Float Data Methodology (March 2023) (PDF, 215 KB)
- MSCI Corporate Bond Indexes Methodology (PDF, 184 KB)
- MSCI Government Bond Indexes Methodology (PDF, 156 KB)
- MSCI Fixed Income Index Calculation Methodology (PDF, 330 KB)
- MSCI Fixed Income Data Methodology (PDF, 242 KB)
MethodologyMSCI Biotech Advance Indexes Methodology
Jun 08, 2023
MethodologyMSCI Value ESG Low Carbon Target Select Index Methodology
Jun 07, 2023
MethodologyMSCI Japan Empowering Women (WIN) Index Methodology
Jun 05, 2023
Search meth by keyword - Index Methodology revamp 2023
Search methodology by keyword
To use the “Search Methodology by Keyword” tool, type in unique word in the index name, narrow down the results by using the additional search filters (e.g. Start and End date), click on “Search”. Identify the methodology document you are looking for by reviewing the results displayed. Click on “View Methodology” to access it.
Search by methodology - Index Methodology revamp 2023
Search by methodology
You can access the latest or past main index methodology documents from the drop box below.
- MSCI Standard Methodology Book (November 2007) (PDF, 385 KB)
- MSCI Small Cap Methodology Book (March 2007) (PDF, 383 KB)
- MSCI Global Value and Growth Methodology Book (December 2007) (PDF, 312 KB)
- MSCI Announces MSCI Global Investable Market Indexes Methodology and Transition Plan for the MSCI Standard and Small Cap Indexes (PDF, 45.9 KB)
Additional Announcements relating to Methodology
- Clarification on the Treatment of Financial Results Under IFRS (Sep 2005)
- MSCI Proposes Adjustment to Venezuela Exchange Rate (October 2003) (PDF, 43.5 KB)
- MSCI Continues Review on Relaxation of Restrictions on Foreign Portfolio Investors in Taiwan (October 2003) (PDF, 148 KB)
- MSCI Opens Formal Review on Relaxation of Restrictions on Foreign Portfolio Investors in Taiwan (July 2003) (PDF, 118 KB)
- MSCI Value and Growth Methodology Book (Dec 1997) - File Size: 20 MB