We are an international company with a highly diverse global footprint. Diversity, is at our core and inclusion defines our culture. Our people are empowered to maximize their potential in an environment where all individuals are respected and encouraged to bring their authentic selves to work.
This culture drives us to innovate and provide industry-leading solutions that power better investment decisions. Increasing our diversity expands our talent pool which helps accelerate innovation in all we do.
We are dedicated to hiring and promoting qualified candidates who have been historically underrepresented in our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, and those in the LGBT+ community.
Diversity and Inclusion table
As of December 2020, women represented 33% of MSCI’s total employees and people of color accounted for 42% of our U.S. employees. By region, 46% of MSCI employees were located in the Asia Pacific region, 24% in Europe, Middle East and Africa, 21% in the U.S. and Canada, and 9% in Mexico and Brazil as of December 2020.
Gender Representation of Global Employees %
|All Other Employees||86%||13%||1%|
Racial/Ethnic Group Representation of U.S. Employees %
|SASB Category||Asian||Black or African American||Hispanic or Latino||White||Other*||N/A**|
|All Other Employees||4%||23%||46%||19%||8%||0%|
|**NA%:||Includes those put “decline to disclose” as well as missing data. In the US ethnicity, we have only 5 people missing ethnicity data so virtually all of this is decline to disclose|
|*Other:||Two or more races; Native American or Hawaiian; Pacific Islander|
|Executive Management:||EC and Managing Directors|
|Non- Executive Management:||Executive Director or Vice President|
|Professionals:||Sr. Associate, Associate, Analyst except those in Corporate Services|
|All Other Employees:||Sr. Associate, Associate, Analyst in Corporate Services and Other Administrative employees (assistants, etc)|
Sales Talent Acceleration Program - first rotation wrapup
Last Friday we concluded the first rotation of our Sales Talent Acceleration Program, where eight young professionals take turns getting familiar with our various product lines.
During these first three months they had the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of how we at MSCI work together to create innovative products and services for the financial investment industry, and create added value for our teams.
We asked two of the participants to tell us about their experiences during the first rotation:
- Randa Taher (New York, ESG team): “I've been working on Fixed Income in the ESG space, and I've got to work on a lot of cool things, like an insights report that highlight the insurance trends in the ESG space in the next 5 years. I also got to work on an engagement newsletter for our clients that really allowed me to understand screening clients and their usecases. The coolest part is meeting people during the pandemic, who are really passionate about ESG.”
- Nickael Tan: (Singapore, Index team): “My first rotation was with the Singapore Index team, where we cover all Sout-East Asia clients. My responsibilities were performance tracking, sales support as well as analytics and research for the team. I got very prrofessional with our internal CRM system. I was able to extract very unique datasets that my team found very useful. The highlight of my first rotation is when we got to go out for lunches as well as drinks with our colleagues - that proves to be a very rare event in the current situation.”
Interested in joining the next generation of talent at MSCI? We are excited to launch the next intake of our program in May, keep an eye on our LinkedIn channel in the coming weeks!
MSCI celebrates US Black History Month
In celebration of US Black History Month, MSCI will host a series of events organized by our Employee Resource Group, Black Leadership Network.
U.S. Black History Month provides an opportunity to recognize the outstanding contributions people of African and Caribbean descent have made to the U.S. over many generations. The MSCI events are designed to raise awareness and encourage discussion about Black culture and history, diversity, equality and inclusion.
In addition to attending fireside chats and panel discussions hosted by senior leaders, employees will have the opportunity to participate in events ranging from an Internal Team Quiz encompassing topics of Black culture and history, Live Workshop of Traditional Caribbean Cooking and a Documentary Discussion “Hello Privilege, It’s me Chelsea”.
‘Career paths, transitioning and goals’ Fireside Chat
- Dr. Allisa Abdullah, SVP & Deputy CSO, Mastercard and former Deputy CIO for the White House #44
- Diana Tidd, MSCI´s Chief Responsibility Officer and Head of Index
‘What we can learn from Black History to make a better future’ Fireside Chat
- David Olusoga, British historian, writer, BAFTA-winning broadcaster, presenter and film-maker
- Henry Fernandez, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer MSCI
People in Focus: Diversity and the road ahead (Inclusion, Equity and Belonging) Panel Discussion
- Paul Francisco, Chief Diversity Officer, State Street
- Simiso Nzima, Investment Director & Head of Corporate Governance, CalPERS
- Michael Barrington-Hibert, Leadership Advisory, Managing Partner, Barrington Hibbert Associates
- MSCI Executive Committee Representatives
We are proud to work in an inclusive company and invite you to be part of MSCI.
DCIIA Diversity and Inclusion Awards
Two members of MSCI’s Americas Coverage team, April Cody and Carol Chen, were nominated for awards at the Defined Contribution Institutional Investment Association (DCIIA)’s first annual D&I Awards ceremony on December 10, 2020. April was nominated for the Diversity & Inclusion Leader award for her participation in MSCI’s Executive Diversity Council and Carol was nominated for the Rising Star award for her work on MSCI’s Women’s Leadership Council and leadership on Women in ETF’s.
DCIIA was founded in 2010 as a non-profit association dedicated to enhancing the retirement security of America’s workers. Along with MSCI, DCIIA’s diverse group of members include investment managers, consultants and advisors, law firms, record keepers, insurance companies, plan sponsors and other thought leaders who are collectively committed to the best interests of plan participants.
April and Carol joined an esteemed group of professionals from the investment industry as nominees for the Awards. In a video introduction introducing each of the nominees, April and Carol highlighted their efforts to promote diversity and inclusion at MSCI and the broader industry. The awards program also included topics such as "Research through a D&I Lens", “2020 Women in the Workplace Study" and a Fireside chat with Leader Finalists moderated by MSCI’s own Michael Andeberhan.
Congratulations to April and Carol!
Sales Talent Acceleration Program
We are pleased to share our first Coverage Talent Acceleration Program in November 2020, with eight new colleagues starting across New York, London, Milan, Singapore and Hong Kong.
We had an engaging and thorough first week planned for them which was full of senior speakers, ERG introductions, training sessions and interactive case studies, where our new colleagues gained an understanding of our structure and strategy, alongside our values and beliefs. After their orientation week, they will have a 12-month development journey with a 3-month rotation each in ESG, Real Estate, Analytics and Index Coverage teams, complemented by product and professional skills training.
All our new colleagues will be supported by mentors and buddies and will get unique opportunities to meet with our senior leaders, as we lay the foundations for a long and successful career with us. We believe this program will also help us to develop a diverse pool of talent across the organization. We believe this program will also help us to develop a diverse pool of talent across the organization. Please find below their insights for their first weeks.
- Karim: “The most exciting part was completing the case studies. After having brilliant product speakers and overviews, presenting what we had learnt cemented that understanding of the product lines. One of the case studies involved conducting a mock client meeting and relaying information we had gathered to a product expert so they could set up a demo for the client. This really helped develop some of the softer skills that are key to a successful career in Client Coverage.”
- Xiaoou: “It is like being invited a huge party, and the host is there to introduce you to all other participants. You feel immediately that it is the right place to be.”
- Mide: “My favourite part of the week was all the welcome conversations we had with people within the firm. We started building genuine relationships via sharing stories, experiences and passions.”
- John: “Having the opportunity to talk with various senior leaders across different functions. I have a clearer picture on our structure, products, business models and the culture. I have learnt a lot and I look forward to the exciting journey ahead!”
- Rosane: “The main highlight was gaining a broad overview of MSCI’s products and learning valuable insights from fellow colleagues who were all very approachable. Another memorable experience was also the opportunity to connect with the Singapore team for Deepavali lunch virtually. I can’t wait to start building my networks in MSCI.”
- Randa: “The best part of the week was meeting people in different product segments and learning about their career shifts as well as their development within MSCI. Also, the case studies allowed me to immerse myself in the content and fully engage with the material in a tangible way. It showcased a lot of what our rotations will entail.”
- Nickael: “My favourite part is that the Singapore team had a virtual lunch for the celebration of Deepavali. That was the first time I met the people I am going to work with and through that, I am able to connect to the colleagues at a personal level.”
- Hugh: “My favourite part of the week was the Acceleration Program Overview on the first day. It was great to meet the other analysts in US and EMEA and gain a better unde]rstanding of the opportunities, resources, and tools for success that MSCI is providing within the program. We were all very eager to learn what our first rotations would be, and I think it gave us all a great mindset for the week of Orientation ahead.”
Partnering with Rare and 100 Black Interns
Rare, founded in 2005, helps over 10,000 diverse candidates access elite professions throughout their network with 80 prestigious organizations. In early 2021 we plan to run a London internship for 100% diverse talent.
100 Black Interns, which launched in August 2020, has brought together UK investment management firms to provide front-office internships opportunities to young, educated Black people trying to break into the city. Currently 200 companies, including us, have committed to offer a paid internship for 2021.
We aim to address the chronic underrepresentation of diverse talent in British financial institutions and move towards action to creating a more diverse and inclusive workplace for current and future employees.
For more information about Diversity and Inclusion related efforts, visit our Social Responsibility page.
Celebrating UK Black History Month
In celebration of UK Black History Month, MSCI had several events including a panel discussion organized by the Black Leadership Network, featuring historian David Olusoga. David is a BAFTA winning presenter and producer, best-selling author, and professor of Public History at University of Manchester. Participants included Henry Fernandez, our founder and CEO, board member Marcus Smith, and other senior executives from the Black Leadership Network and Executive Committee. Panelists discussed the need for action leading to measurable change, and how history has impacted today´s perspective regarding the Black community.
Throughout the month, we held additional events such as an Internal Pub Team Quiz where questions encompassed topics of Black culture and history and a joint panel discussion on bringing your authentic self to work. The last event of the month was a book discussion with Minda Hharts, author of The Memo: What Women of Color Need to Know to Secure a Seat at the Table.
We are proud to work in an inclusive company and invite you to be part of our journey. For more information about Diversity, Equality and Inclusion related efforts, visit our Social Responsibility page.
Fireside chat for the Latinos in Finance 12th Annual Finance Bootcamp
In September, our CEO Henry Fernandez joined the Latinos in Finance organization for a fireside chat at their 12th annual Finance Bootcamp. The LIF Bootcamp educates college and high school students on the various careers and opportunities in the finance industry and expands the pipeline of Latino professionals. Henry talked about his journey to become CEO of MSCI, specifically his experience as a Latino in the finance industry, the actions we are taking to address diversity and inclusion, and answered questions from participants.
We're honored that our founder and CEO played a part in this critical initiative and look forward to further partnership with Latinos in Finance in the future.