Real Estate Market Size 2017
The MSCI Real Estate Market Size 2017 paper estimates the size of the global professionally managed real estate investment markets. These estimates are fundamental to the creation of the IPD Global Annual Property Index and a range of other multinational indexes and benchmarks.
The latest paper sets out the 2017 market size estimates and explains the main changes since 2016.
- MSCI’s index coverage increased by 50 bps globally and by 10 bps within the IPD Global Annual Property Index. The representativeness of MSCI’s asset-level real estate indexes increased most in Hong Kong and Belgium.
- Overall market size rose by 15% from $7.4 trillion to $8.5 trillion.
- Germany replaced China as the fourth-largest market; China had previously held this position for the past two years.
- Two big drivers of market size estimates were currency movements and capital value growth, which both effectively increased the size of the global real estate investment market.
- For the first time in seven years the U.S. weighting within the IPD® Global Annual Property Index decreased.
More detailed and user-friendly analysis of the market size estimates over a longer time series is available on MSCI Global Intel.